Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 14th 2012
It is dark, about an hour before dawn.  I know the birds will start singing their sweet melodies soon.  This moment in time is a reflection of my life  these past six months.  Yes it has been dark, very dark.  My November surgery was no piece of cake!!  It was more like old beef jerky, rather hard to chew on. They removed a 1.9 centimeter tumor.  Fourteen lymph nodes were removed under my arm, eight tested positive for cancer.

 Yet I recovered one day at a time.  Then the first of the year came and it was time for six weeks of daily radiation.  My husband was so supportive, he drove me every day, week after week.  I plodded along pretty well until the end, then my skin broke down, I got the flu and really had to battle for a couple of weeks.

  Each day I get a bit better, take shorter naps, try to do a little more.  I am still having Physical Therapy for the damaged muscles in the chest area.  I am told the affects of the radiation causing the muscles to tighten lasts for about twelve months.

I was very glad to learn that the type of cancer I have would not benefit from chemotherapy so I was able to avoid that nasty treatment.  The Dr. put me on a five year plan for a hormone blocking medication.  It has nasty side affects, including depression, joint pain insomnia , wight gain etc. etc. etc.  It hit me pretty hard the first week.  I am doing serious praying about what to do.  I see the Dr. next month.

I feel like my creative, poetic self has been locked up in a hope chest for a few months.  It is time to dust off the key and open the lid.  I have started to do art and poetry in my journal again, so that feels good.

If you read this blog and know my e mail please respond with a quick e-mail, I wonder if the blog is read or over looked and sometimes I get discouraged.

I will close by creating a new poem.

Liquid Essence
Written by Dawn

Life is liquid essence
reflecting the morning dew.
Each beam, each ray
brings the warmth of yet another day.

I lift my palm
to the globe
that drives away the
darkness.
Light reflects on my pale skin
giving it a warm glow.


I praise the Creator that today
I have the precious gift of life,
A day to breath
A day to laugh
A day to love.
A Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment