Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tasting Words

I have asked you to
taste my culinary skills,
a delicate pastry of verbiage
on a white plate.

Please do not
gulp my prose like a Big Mac!

This is a recipe of love
ingredients especially selected.

Here a pinch of verbs
there a bunch of organic nouns and

superior

adverbs.

Please take time to

Taste

and

Ponder.

Poetry is like fine wine
S w i s h
the words in your mouth.

Let the rich ness
p e n e t r a t e.

It is not a generic brand of two-bit soda
to gulp down
squeeze the can
and discard

This is my soul

the inner essence
of A L L that I am.

Could you not
chew
for a while
or
repeat a phrase
or
question my musings?

How can I ever let you go
deeper

into who I am?

When you do not even
penetrate the surface
I feel like an onion
encased in dry parchment.

You do not smell my essence.

You do not know how to
Peel back my layers,
without causing me to

squirt and splatter .

Strange
I am an onion
that produces tears
only within myself.

Maybe some cannot partake
they do not understand the concept of

“second helping”.

Their taste buds never developed,
I only give
heartburn and
Indigestion

but
I keep
hoping
offering

A little sip?

A little bite?

A morsel of my soul?

***

Written and copyright protected by Dawn 2009

1 comment:

  1. I understand the analogy it is a good one. There are layers that even we have yet to explore and experience of ourselves. I love discovering the essence of a person. Often different aspects come as a surprise as their life and circumstances unfold. I like to pursue to the point of finding the treasures they are. I keep memories of them, snapshot moments, in the album of my heart to be opened later and pondered as I step into place along side them, sharing their burden.

    ReplyDelete